WHITEWATER, Wis. – The University of Chicago women's tennis team began its NCAA postseason run with a 5-0 victory against Lake Forest College on Saturday afternoon.
The No. 2-ranked Maroons (15-5 record) advanced to the third round of the tournament after receiving a bye in the first round. The Foresters concluded their year at 22-4.
Third doubles were the first ones done as first-years Lauren Park and Nicole Semenov raced past their opposition 8-1. Sophomore Catherine Xu and first-year Eugenia Lee were next done at No. 1 by an 8-4 score, and the doubles sweep was completed by junior Marjorie Antohi and sophomore Daryn Ellison at No. 2 (8-5).
Singles progressed in short order. Antohi made it 4-0 with a No. 1 singles victory (6-1, 6-1) and first-year Annika Pandey provided the clincher with a shutout at No. 6 (6-0, 6-0).
UChicago 5, Lake Forest 0
1. Marjorie Antohi (UC) def. Julie Lord (LFC) 6-1, 6-1
2. Catherine Xu (UC) vs. Allison Watts (LFC) 6-3, 3-0, unfinished
3. Lauren Park (UC) vs. Tebatso Duba (LFC) 4-5, unfinished
4. Nicole Semenov (UC) vs. Leeza Bodnar (LFC) 6-0, 1-2, unfinished
5. Eugenia Lee (UC) vs. Emma Wang (LFC) 6-1, unfinished
6. Annika Pandey (UC) def. Katie Wegrecki (LFC) 6-0, 6-0
1. Catherine Xu/Eugenia Lee (UC) def. Julie Lord/Leeza Bodnar (LFC) 8-4
2. Marjorie Antohi/Daryn Ellison (UC) def. Allison Watts/Tyrany Miller (LFC) 8-5
3. Lauren Park/Nicole Semenov (UC) def. Emma Wang/Tebatso Duba (LFC) 8-1
- Sunday, May 12 @ 12:00 PM – UChicago vs. Carleton College (at Whitewater, Wis.)