CHICAGO – The University of Chicago women's tennis team opened up action at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Division III National Team Indoor Championship on Friday morning with a 6-3 loss to Carnegie Mellon University.
The No. 8-ranked Maroons (6-1 record) absorbed their first defeat of the season, while the No. 7-ranked Tartans moved to 9-1.
The eight-team ITA bracket features UChicago as the No. 5 seed and CMU as the No. 4 seed.
In singles, the first UChicago win came courtesy of sophomore Annika Pandey at No. 6. After dropping the first set 6-0, Pandey righted the ship and grabbed the next two sets 6-3, 6-2. Wang concluded the day with a three-set victory over her own at No. 4 singles (6-4, 2-6, 6-4). The Tartans captured the other four matchups.
Carnegie Mellon 6, UChicago 3
1. Danna Taylor (CMU) def. Lauren Park (UC) 7-6 (10-8), 6-4
2. Vinaya Rao (CMU) def. Claudia Ng (UC) 6-2, 6-4
3. Bin Zheng (CMU) def. Nicole Semenov (UC) 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
4. Perene Wang (UC) def. Janabelle Wu (CMU) 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
5. Lindy Cornwall (CMU) def. Eugenia Lee (UC) 7-6 (7-4), 7-5
6. Annika Pandey (UC) def. Madeline Fidel (CMU) 0-6, 6-3, 6-2
1. Perene Wang/Claudia Ng (UC) def. Courtney Ollis/Danna Taylor (CMU) 8-3
2. Lindy Cornwall/Vinaya Rao (CMU) def. Eugenia Lee/Lauren Park (UC) 8-7 (9-7)
3. Janabelle Wu/Bin Zheng (CMU) def. Annika Pandey/Brigitte Wu (UC) 8-3
- Saturday, Feb. 29 @ 9:00 AM (ET) – UChicago vs. Centre College (at Nicholasville, Ky.)