NICHOLASVILLE, Ky. – The University of Chicago women's tennis team finished fifth at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Division III National Team Indoor Championship on Sunday thanks to a 5-1 victory against Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
The No. 8-ranked Maroons improved to 8-1. The No. 9-ranked Engineers dropped to 3-2.
On the third day of the eight-team competition, UChicago came out firing in doubles play. The Maroons swept all three spots (8-4, 8-2, 8-4) and headed to singles needing only two wins to clinch. First-year Claudia Ng and junior Catherine Xu obliged with straight-set decisions at No. 2 and No. 3 singles, respectively. Ng blasted through her match 6-0, 6-1 while Xu emerged with a 6-4, 6-4 victory.
UChicago 5, MIT 1
1. Sarah Pertsemlidis (MIT) vs. Lauren Park (UC) 6-4, 2-1, unfinished
2. Claudia Ng (UC) def. Libby Rickeman (MIT) 6-0, 6-1
3. Catherine Xu (UC) def. Seraphin Castelino (MIT) 6-4, 6-4
4. Pam Duke (MIT) def. Nicole Semenov (UC) 6-3, 6-1
5. Ashley Teng (MIT) vs. Perene Wang (UC) 7-5, 4-3, unfinished
6. Annika Pandey (UC) vs. Lara Rakocevic (MIT) 4-6, 6-1, 1-0, unfinished
1. Perene Wang/Claudia Ng (UC) def. Sarah Pertsemlidis/Libby Rickeman (MIT) 8-4
2. Eugenia Lee/Lauren Park (UC) def. Megan Guenther/Pam Duke (MIT) 8-2
3. Catherine Xu/Annika Pandey (UC) def. Lara Rakocevic/Yuka Perera (MIT) 8-4
- Monday, Mar. 23 @ 10:00 AM (PT) – UChicago at Caltech