Posted: May 20, 2012
CHICAGO -- Three University of Chicago track & field athletes have qualified to participate in the 2012 NCAA Division III Outdoor Championships to be held Thursday through Saturday in Claremont, Calif.
- Junior Kayla McDonald (Summit, N.J./ Summit) qualified in the 800-meter run with a time of 2:12.02, which she posted earlier this week at North Central College. Preliminary competition is set for Friday at 7:10 p.m. (PT), with the finals slated for Saturday at 4:20 p.m. (PT).
- Junior Julia Sizek (Dayton, Ohio/ Oakwood) qualified in the 10,000-meter run after clocking the ninth-fastest time in the event (36:04.08) during the regular season at North Central's Dr. Keeler Invitational on May 10. The 10,000-meter run competition is scheduled for Thursday at 6:20 p.m. (PT).
- McDonald (pictured, above left) and Sizek (pictured, above center) earned their first trip to the NCAA outdoor championships. Both runners were All-Americans in the distance medley relay at the 2012 national indoor meet.
- Junior Billy Whitmore (Rocky River, Ohio/ St. Ignatius) qualified in the 10,000-meter run. His time of 30:18.56 set at the Chicagoland Championships back on Apr. 6 stood as the 14th-fastest in Division III during the regular season. The 10,000-meter run competition is scheduled for Thursday at 7:05 p.m. (PT).
- Whitmore will make his first appearance at the NCAA outdoor championships. He garnered All-America honors in cross country this past fall with a seventh-place national finish.