CHICAGO – Eight student-athletes from the University of Chicago track & field teams earned U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) Division III All-Region selection for their performance in the outdoor season, the organization announced on Monday.
Senior Khia Kurtenbach was honored twice, for the women's 5,000 meters and 10,000 meters. She qualified for the NCAA Division III Championships in both events.
Junior Nicole VacaGuzman was an All-Region selection in the women's 400 meters. She broke her own school record in the final qualifying meet and will compete at the NCAA national meet.
Sophomore Joe Previdi represented the men's squad, earning All-Region status in the 800 meters.
The USTFCCCA recognized the top five competitors in each event from each region – a total of 743 men and 667 women.
2018 USTFCCCA All-Region Honorees
- Ade Ayoola – High Jump (1.67, 5th in region)
- Laura Darcey – High Jump (1.68, 2nd in region)
- Khia Kurtenbach – 5,000 meters (16:57.09, 4th in region); 10,000 meters (35.24.57, 2nd in region)
- Cassidy McPherson – Steeplechase (10:56.06, 5th in region)
- Alexandra Thompson – High Jump (1.68, 2nd in region)
- Nicole VacaGuzman – 400 meters (55.92, 1st in region)
- Megan Verner-Crist – 1,500 meters (4:37.40, 3rd in region)
- Joe Previdi – 800 meters (1:52.00, 5th in region)