CHICAGO – In one of the largest qualifying contingents in recent history, the University of Chicago track & field teams will send 10 student-athletes competing in 12 events to the 2019 NCAA Division III Indoor Championships.
The Maroon women will have 10 entries – tied with Washington-St. Louis for the third-most of any team – across its eight qualifiers, while the UChicago men's squad had two student-athletes earn a bid to the two-day event, hosted by UMass-Boston at Reggie Lewis Center in Boston, Mass., March 8-9.
Two-time All-American Laura Darcey stands as UChicago's lone returning qualifier in both the high jump and pentathlon after placing fifth (1.68) sixth (3,487), respectively, one year ago. She joins first-year Isabel Maletich (triple jump and long jump) as the two Maroons qualifying in multiple events.
Women's qualifiers (seed and mark)
- 800 Meters (Fri. Prelims 5:20p CT/Sat. Finals 2:55p CT) – Kaitlyn Van Baalen (18th, 2:14.66)
- 3,000 meters (Fri. Prelims 11:30a CT/Sat. Finals 3:40p CT) – Sophie Elgamal (8th, 9:51.30)
- 5,000 meters (Fri Finals 6:20p CT) – Claire Brockway (14th, 17:15.61)
- High jump (Sat. Finals 10a CT) – Alexandra Thompson (5th, 1.72m) ; Laura Darcey (18th, 1.69m)
- Pole vault (Fri. Finals 4:30p CT) – Isabel Garon (13th, 3.73m)
- Long jump (Fri. Finals 12p CT) – Isabel Maletich (18th, 5.62m)
- Mile (Fri. Prelims 4p CT/Sat. Finals 3:05p CT) – Emma Dyer (17th, 5:03.92)
- Triple jump (Sat. Finals 10a CT) – Isabel Maletich (10th, 11.82m)
- Pentathlon (Fri. Finals 10a CT) – Laura Darcey (19th, 3,306)
Men's qualifiers (seed and mark)
- Shot put (Sat. Finals 2:15p CT) – Alexander Scott (9th, 16.57m)
- 3,000 meters (Fri. Prelims 12p CT/Sat. Finals 3:55p CT) – Ryan Cutter (12th, 8:20.08)
- Friday-Saturday, March 8-9: UChicago at NCAA Division III Indoor National Championships (at Boston, Mass.)