In accordance with guidance from the Chicago Department of Public Health, Athletics & Recreation is modifying its building capacity and facility operations to ensure the health and safety of all students and building staff. Due to the necessary de-densification of fitness and recreation spaces and equipment, we will only be open to enrolled UChicago students for the Autumn Quarter.
* Students must complete the online training and attestation process in order to access campus buildings including the Ratner Athletics Center. Please complete the process before making facility reservations - https://goforward.uchicago.edu/health-requirements/#training. Students in campus housing must complete either the 10-day "stay at home" period or the 14-day "quarantine" before using the facilities.
Reservations must be made 24-72 hours in advance in order to access the swimming pool and cardio and weight training facilities. Due to restrictions on group play and the use of shared equipment, the gymnasia will not be available for use. Activity areas will be closed for one hour mid-day to allow for more extensive cleaning. Please review the rules and reservation procedures listed below.
All updated policies and procedures for the Ratner Athletics Center can be found here:
For further information on how the University is handling COVID-19, please visit: https://coronavirusupdates.uchicago.edu/
The 50-meter by 25-yard pool includes up to 20 lanes in the 25-yard dimension and nine lanes in the 50-meter dimenson, and contains a moveable bulkhead which allows for simultaneous activities.
In addition, two one-meter diving boards are available. The two three-meter diving boards are restricted to varsity sport team use only. The pool depth ranges from four feet in the shallow section to 13.5 feet in the diving well.
Full Schedule and Pool Availability
Call (773) 702-3873 for updated weekly schedules and team practices.
45 minute reservation – 14 slots
- Please be mindful of maintaining distancing within and moving between locker room and pool areas.
- Avoid congregating near locker room doors, pool ladders, and lane lines.
- Masks must be worn at all times in the locker room and pool area unless showering or swimming.
- Please limit your time in the locker room to maintain low occupancy and adequate space for physical distancing.
- A shower is required before using the pool.
- Do not leave belongings in the locker room. All belongings must be brought to the pool deck.
- At the end of your session, please exit the locker rooms through the doors leading directly to the hallways.
- One person is allowed per each reserved lane.
- Use any open lane in your designated reserved lane group.
- Place your reservation card on the chair behind your lane.
- Please stay in the middle of the lane when stopping on the walls.
Family Swim (*CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE)
On certain days and times (see below), the "shallow section" and the "diving section" of the Myers-McLoraine Pool will be set aside for Family Swimming. This means that the "shallow section" lanes are to be designated for parents/guardians with children who do not wish to lap swim. Additionally, the two lanes directly underneath the diving boards will be available for the use of the diving boards. Pool admission and general rules are to be enforced. Children must be accompanied by a parent/guardian (see Pool Admission Requirements, pertaining to child to parent/guardian ratio, page 17) and all patrons who wish to enter the facility for Family Swim, including children, must be members of the Ratner Athletics Center or their officially registered guests. Spectators must sit in the balcony.
Private Swim Lessons (*CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE)
Whether you want to just learn to swim, refine your swimming technique, or train to compete, private swim lessons are now available to Ratner members ages 3 and older. All ability levels can be accommodated. Lessons are taught by Mary Flynn, owner and operator of Learn to Swim with Mary, LLC. Mary has 18 years of competitive experience and has been a swim instructor in the Chicago area for over 35 years. She has taught all levels of swimming, including special needs children as well as state champion competitors. Lessons are priced at $35 for a 30-minute session, and there is no limit on the number of lessons you can take.
1) Contact Mary Flynn at firstname.lastname@example.org or (708) 271-7394 to schedule a lesson(s).
2) Print your confirmation email and bring it to the Ratner Center front desk.
3) Show your confirmation email and purchase your lesson(s).
4) Obtain a private swim lesson card and bring it to your lesson(s) to turn in to the instructor.
2020 Winter Pool Closures
|November 26-29||All Day||Building Closed|
|December 24 - January 3||All Day||Building Closed|